Alan Thompson’s practice emphasizes civil matters including commercial litigation, business/corporate and intellectual property matters.
His commercial litigation practice includes all facets of employment law, collections, partnership matters, banking issues, and most other types of business disputes, arbitration and litigation. His business/corporate practice includes real property purchase/sale and leasing matters, entity formation and mergers and acquisitions. Mr. Thompson’s intellectual property counsel and litigation includes licensing, trademark (including federal trademark registration), copyright, and unfair competition issues.
Mr. Thompson also counsels clients in a variety of other matters involving partnership, foreclosure, landlord-tenant, bankruptcy, banking, operations and special assets, debtor-creditor, construction and mechanics lien issues.
Born and raised in Boulder, Colorado, Mr. Thompson received his B.A. and J.D. degrees from the University of Colorado at Boulder. In law school, he was a member and production editor of the University of Colorado Law Review. Mr. Thompson conducted his first trials while still in law school representing indigent clients in criminal matters through the university’s Legal Aid and Defender program.
When not practicing law, Mr. Thompson contributes to several community causes. He served as president of the board of directors of Youthbiz, a business development program for at-risk youth in Five Points, served as legal counsel for the Colorado Junior Chamber of Commerce (Jaycees), and he was on the board of directors and president of the Boulder Jaycees. Mr. Thompson served on the board of directors of BackStory Theatre, a non-profit community theater in Broomfield, Colorado, and is currently active as a member of the Cross of Christ Lutheran Church Music Academy board of directors.
Mr. Thompson is licensed to practice in Colorado and is admitted before the Colorado Supreme Court, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and the United States Bankruptcy Court. He is a member of the Colorado, Adams County and Broomfield Bar Associations, and has appeared in courts throughout Colorado, Wyoming, California and New Mexico.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Intellectual Property
- 75% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Colorado, 1991
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court
- University of Colorado School of Law, Boulder, Colorado
- University of Colorado at Boulder
- A Modest Proposal: The Rule 3(a) Waiver Agreement (Co-Author), The Colorado Lawyer, March, 2017
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Colorado Bar Associations, Member
- Adams/Broomfield Bar Association
Pro Bono Activities
- Regularly provide counsel for indigent clients refered by Denver/Metro Volunteer Lawyers
- Serves as litigation counsel for Blue Spruce Habitat for Humanity
- Serves on the board of directors and legal counsel to BackStory Theatre, a non-profit community theater in Broomfield
- For the last 15 years, Mr. Thompson has offered legal services for start-up businesses to outsourced and laid-off employees for clientel of Right Managements Associates, an international outplacement firm